Bleach is a powerful tool that many people use around the house. It can be used in your laundry as well as to sanitize and brighten dirty spaces. Many people choose to use it when tackling grime and stains on tile grout. So, while sodium hypochlorite is very utilitarian, it can be damaging or downright dangerous if not handled properly. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when using chlorine bleach around your home.
Bleach can be corrosive and irritating. If not handled with care, it can cause irritation, burns, or scars to your eyes, skin, and lungs. To prevent this, always make sure to wear proper protection when working with bleach in the way of rubber gloves and goggles. Ventilating the area well will also help you breathe in less fumes. Open a window or set a fan in the room to help circulate the air.
As we mentioned, bleach is powerful. It does not need to be used at full strength to be an effective stain remover or sanitizing agent. The CDC recommends mixing up a gallon of water with ⅓ cup bleach to create a diluted yet effective solution. Just remember to use warm water and not hot water, as hot water can release chlorine gas into your breathing space.
Don’t be tempted to make your own cleaning concoction when working with bleach either. Mixing bleach with other cleaning agents like ammonia, vinegar, and isopropyl alcohol can create dangerous fumes that can result in damage to your lungs and eyes. Only mix bleach with tepid water.
Ultimately, chlorine bleach is a great tool to have around. If you follow these safety tips when using it, you can be sure that you will not cause yourself or your household surfaces harm.
When your tile and grout need deep cleaning, contact Grout Restoration Works. We only use high temperature steam to clean your tiled surfaces. So, you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals being released into your home by us. Our services are pet and baby safe!
By Grout Restoration Works 6-3-2022